By Amy Jordan, Accountant
Thirteen human resource managers representing 10 cooperatives attended the 2015 Employment Law and Human Resources conference at the Sheraton Read House in Chattanooga on April 9–10.
Kim Vance, Shareholder with Baker Donelson Bearman Caldwell & Berkowitz PC had a full agenda:
· State employment law changes,
· Supreme Court Employment-Related Cases,
· EEOC – Pregnancy Discrimination Guidance and Trends,
· Discussion of the potential changes recommended in the Presidents memorandum to the Secretary of Labor to “modernize” and “simplify” the white collar exemption regulations
· The Abercrombie Case Study
· Employee Handbook—Legal Compliance Issues for 2015, including no-gossip policies. (really?!)
In his presentation, Doug Fiero, Regional Field Manager with NRECA encouraged us to use the PIRC resources that are readily available.
Day two started with a lively roundtable discussion which covered subjects of interest and concern that are common to all co-op systems. The feedback from the group allowed us to hear other options to solve problems or issues at our own systems.
For the last two sessions, we joined with the TECA Administrative Professionals Conference. Randy Pendergrass gave a great presentation on defensive eating. He is a cancer survivor, personal trainer, and physical therapist. He encouraged everyone to start now—to eat better and exercise!
Vincent Phipps, the final speaker gave a robust presentation on how to “Amplify Your Professional Attitude.” He provided attendees with positive motivation, points of clarity in communication and ways to impact others.