The Tennessee Electric Cooperative Association provides leadership, advocacy and support services to 25 consumer-owned electric cooperatives. One of our most powerful advocacy tools is The Tennessee Magazine. Reaching more than 1.5 million readers each month, the magazine is the state’s most widely circulated monthly periodical. Our small but mighty communications team advocates for rural electric cooperatives and the communities they serve, and we tell the story of rural and suburban Tennessee, celebrating the people, places, food and events that make this place truly unique.
TECA is searching for a Communications Support Specialist to join our team. We are looking for an individual with three to five years of experience to oversee the administrative and customer service functions related to the Tennessee Electric Cooperative Association’s communications department and The Tennessee Magazine. The ideal candidate digs data, details and distribution lists and loves talking with our readers and cooperatives. You’ll arrange awesome ads, patch up pesky postal problems and marshal our mailing lists. View the full job description below.
We provide a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits package, flexibility and the pleasure of being part of a fun, talented team.
Full Job Description
Full Job Description
The Communications Support Specialist is responsible for overseeing administrative and customer service functions related to TECA’s communications department and The Tennessee Magazine.
To be successful in this role, an individual must be detail-oriented, accountable and self-motivated and capable of performing the functions listed below in a satisfactory manner. The company will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Coordinate with editor to layout ad space with the goal of maximizing revenue
- Manage local ad sales
- Coordinate advertising contracts
- Coordinate with third-party ad sales vendor to book space in upcoming publications
- Ensure payments from ad sales vendors
- Manage billing and payments for in-house ads
- Manage development of annual Media Kit
Subscriptions and Circulation
- Coordinate co-op mailing lists
- Manage paid magazine subscriptions
- Liaison with USPS to solve delivery issues
- Share return reports with co-ops
Awards and Order Fulfillment
- Coordinate the selection of prize winners for magazine contests
- Manage the distribution of prizes for magazine contests
- Manage the shipping of product orders including Barns of Tennessee books, calendars, General Assembly directories and other products
- Participate in the development of The Tennessee Magazine’s editorial calendar
- Develop monthly magazine billing and ensure accuracy
- Manage magazine archives
- Coordinate postal audit
- Coordinate MRI Simmons Readership Study
- Manage association’s contact database
Meetings and Events
- Manage the annual Tennessee Electric Cooperative Day of Service event
- Coordinate meetings of the TECA Communications Committee
- Support the vice president of communications with the production of the association’s annual meeting
- Answer incoming phone calls to the Communications Department and The Tennessee Magazine
- Support department initiatives and projects as needed
- Actively participate in department planning activities including budgeting
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have an equivalent of the following education and/or experience.
- Three to five years’ experience in an office setting
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, communication or a related field.
- Valid driver’s license
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The attributes listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner.
- Ability to manage data and projects while paying close attention to detail
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), database administration, the internet and basic knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite programs
- Ability to build and maintain positive working relationships
- Strong problem-solving abilities, including the ability to apply critical thinking skills and logical discernment to complex situations where different opinions may be in conflict
- Strong multi-tasking, project management and planning skills, including the ability to coordinate work with other departments or organizations
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to describe and explain complicated information, the ability to maintain confidentiality and strong listening skills
- Must be self-motivated with a strong desire to learn, develop and work independently
- Ability to move in a fast-paced environment and manage and prioritize multiple tasks while meeting deadlines and maintaining a high degree of quality
- Ability to communicate information to groups
- Ability to operate office equipment, including printers, copiers and phones
- Strong mathematical abilities (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, percentages and ratios), including the ability to process data and to use a calculator
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented office environment
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- The environmental and physical demands described here are representative of those an individual must meet to successfully perform the essential functions of this job
- Ability to sit for periods of time and to move intermittently throughout the workday within or between departments or facilities
- Strong sensory skills, such as good hearing, dexterity and good eyesight, including the use of color perception
- Ability to interact frequently with others through phone, email, virtual meetings and written correspondence
- Ability to speak clearly
- Travel required approximately 15 percent of the time; overnight travel required approximately 5 to 10 days per year
Our office is located in Nashville, a destination known for music-filled streets, hot chicken and an abundance of outdoor activities.
If interested, please consider submitting your application online.
Equal Opportunity Employer-minorities/women/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity.